The Salomon trail running shoes have been designed from the ground up for running on trails and off-road. These aren’t some re-worked street shoes. Everything from the materials that Salomon has selected to the design and construction has been chosen to maximize performance and safety in trail running environments.
The soles on Salomon Trail shoes are designed to handle the uneven terrain found along unpaved trails. The shape of the sole is wider than with standard running shoes, which gives more lateral support. The tread is deeper than typical shoes – almost as deep as hiking boots in some models – and is designed with flex-grooves at the front of the shoe ad well as self-cleaning, multi-directional lugs to give you just the bite you need on loose trails. Finally the sole material is more durable yet still provides the grip needed in rough conditions.
The lower sides of the Salomon trail shoes are reinforced for extra durability. They can handle the scuffs and abrasions that are common when running on trails when lesser shoes would be ripped to shreds. They also include extra support low on the show to continue to provide extra stability and support for lateral movements.
The quick-drying breathable uppers help keep your feet dry, and the fully gusseted tongue has attached material at the sides to keep debris (sand, gravel, sticks) from entering the shoe. While this seems like a small feature, typical running shoes do not have gusseted tongues, which is why they always seem to get sand and rocks in them very easily.
This is a detail of today’s Salomon Trail-Running family:
- S-Lab XT Wings – Built to be incredibly light yet still have the responsiveness required on the trail. These are the absolute top-of-the-line trail shoes, designed for racing.
- XT Wings GTX – Balance of cushioning and agility, these shoes are great all-around shoes – they are even available in a waterproof version for all-weather running.
- XA Pro 3D Ultra and Ultra GTX – While still very trail-worthy, the extra cushioning built in to this line makes them equally at home on the trail or the track.
- XT Wings & XT Hawk – Both of these mid-priced shoes are built to maximize lightness and cushioning for both speed and power.
- XA Comp 3 – This classic trail runner is designed for traction and comfort for both competitive and recreational adventure runners. This shoe is also available in a waterproof version – the XA Comp 3 GTX.
- Speed Comp – A great competition runner, this shoe combines strength, cushioning, and performance in a very lightweight form.
- Trail Runner 3 – This is the lowest-priced Salomon trail shoe, and it is designed with extra cushioning for comfortable training. This shoe is available in a Gore-Tex weatherproof version – the Trail SCS GTX.
Whether you are a new runner who prefers spending your time on trails rather than pavement or a competitive adventure runner, You can’t go wrong with any of the shoes in the Salomon Trail Running Shoes family. They are made to be put to the ultimate tests – running on rough, rocky, uneven trails in the worst of weather. If you can handle it, these shoes can too!